Healthcare Professionals’ Perception Of Psychedelic Medicines
For psychedelic medicines to reach as many patients as possible, developers need to secure buy-in at every level of the treatment delivery chain. This is particularly true with regards to practitioners on the front line, as these are the individuals that ultimately provide breakthrough therapies over more established, but often less effective, alternatives.
To identify the sentiment of healthcare providers in the UK, researchers for The Psychedelics as Medicine Report: Third Edition asked for their views on current mental health solutions and perceptions of psychedelic-assisted therapies.
Recognition of research
Since the turn of the century, over 325 clinical trials with psychedelic medicines have taken place globally. The survey revealed the vast majority of health workers believe psychedelics can provide therapeutic benefit to users in a medical setting, with 70% supporting the easing of restrictions to facilitate greater research. Furthermore, familiarity with this research is high, with 75% of healthcare providers aware of studies into psychedelic-assisted therapy’s efficacy to treat PTSD. This is encouraging as MAPS’ MDMA-assisted therapy for PTSD is expected to be regulated in 2023, following its pivotal Phase III clinical trial.
Doctors were the most informed profession surveyed, with eight out of ten aware of psychedelic medicines’ ability to treat mental health disorders. In contrast, just three out of ten nurses in the UK identified themselves as ‘knowledgeable’ on the latest research into psychedelic-assisted therapy.
When asked about their understanding of psychedelic-assisted therapy’s ability to treat addiction and eating disorders, those working in psychiatry were most knowledgeable. This was expected, as the research has the largest ramifications for their field of expertise, but is also promising as Awakn Life Sciences is currently conducting a Phase II study to reduce alcohol addiction with ketamine-assisted therapy, alongside an assessment of the NHS’s readiness to embrace such treatments.
Speaking exclusively to PSYCH, Awakn’s head of ketamine-assisted psychotherapy for addiction, Professor Celia Morgan, said: ‘We’ve got to work with commissioners to look at different treatment services and the best way to implement them, then we can think about building these services out. The NHS incurs high costs from people not recovering from alcohol use disorder, about £3.5 billion a year, so any effective treatment represents a substantial cost saving.’
Less than half of medical professionals believe current treatments for alcohol and drug addiction are effective, due to high rates of relapse which place a heavy burden on healthcare providers. The Psychedelics as Medicine Report calculated European economies could save over US$31 billion by adopting psychedelic-assisted therapies to treat alcohol use disorder, while the US economy could recoup a staggering US$143 billion.
Similarly, roughly one in four practitioners believe current treatments for depression are extremely ineffective, with treatment-resistant depression afflicting 77 million worldwide. This huge patient population, combined with a dearth of effective treatments, signals a substantial commercial opportunity for drug developers and their early investors.
UK-based COMPASS Pathways recently released top-line data from its Phase II trial to combat treatment-resistant depression with psilocybin-assisted therapy. In the largest psilocybin therapy study ever carried out, patients experienced a clinically relevant reduction in depressive symptom severity after three weeks.
Speaking about the announcement, George Goldsmith, CEO of COMPASS Pathways, commented: ‘We set out to explore the safety and efficacy of COMP360 psilocybin therapy in treatment-resistant depression, through a rigorous and large-scale trial, and to find an appropriate dose to take to the next stage. … With these compelling data, we will urgently progress our clinical development programme and move closer to making this therapy accessible to patients in need.’
Buy-in from the UK health sector
Through recognition of research into psychedelic-assisted therapy, and the inefficacy of current treatments, two thirds of medical professionals are excited by the potential of psychedelics as medicines. Following their approval by the MHRA, the majority would like to provide their patients with psychedelic-assisted therapy.
This bodes well for the future of psychedelic healthcare in the UK, as these practitioners will be the ones to deliver psychedelic-assisted therapy – with their support fundamental to the industry’s success.
The survey conducted for The Psychedelics as Medicine Report: Third Edition captured a diverse population of healthcare workers, including those who work in general practice (16%), surgery (12%), psychiatry (8%), public health and policy (6%), paediatrics (6%) and anaesthesia (5%).
For full thanks and further investor intelligence on the psychedelic science and healthcare industry, download The Psychedelics as Medicine Report: Third Edition, powered by Blossom.
- PROJECT CBD CHRISTMAS SPECIAL | CANNABIS: A MEDICINAL TREASURE TROVE WITH ETHAN RUSSO, MDA neurologist speaks with Project CBD about CBG, cannabinoid acids, and the global CBD phenomenon. By Project CBD on December 31, 2019 TRANSCRIPT Project CBD: Welcome to another edition of Cannabis Conversations. I’m Martin Lee with Project CBD and today we will be speaking to Dr. Ethan Russo, noted neurologist, a researcher in the cannabis field for many years,
- How Pfizer Is Getting Into Cannabis With $6.7B Arena Pharma DealPharmaceutical giant Pfizer Inc. (NYSE:PFE) is entering the cannabis space via the $6.7 billion acquisition of Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (NASDAQ:ARNA). The two publicly-traded companies confirmed Monday that they have signed a definitive agreement under which Pfizer will acquire all outstanding shares of Arena for $100 per share in an all-cash transaction. by Nina Zdinjak December
- Healthcare Professionals’ Perception Of Psychedelic MedicinesFor psychedelic medicines to reach as many patients as possible, developers need to secure buy-in at every level of the treatment delivery chain. This is particularly true with regards to practitioners on the front line, as these are the individuals that ultimately provide breakthrough therapies over more established, but often less effective, alternatives. To identify
- Malta becomes first EU nation to legalise cannabisMalta has become the first EU country to legalise the cultivation and personal use of cannabis. 14th December 2021 Adults will be allowed to carry up to seven grams of cannabis, and grow no more than four plants at home. But smoking it in public or in front of children will be illegal. Several other
- Project CBD | Claws and EffectAll beings with a backbone have an endocannabinoid system. Is cannabis medicine a good option for the health of your dog or cat? Photo by Project CBD Any animal with a backbone (classified as a chordate) has an endocannabinoid system. The Kingdom of Chordata includes amphibians, reptiles, birds, fish, and mammals, including house pets. Many animal-owners
- THE FINEST HEMP FOOD PRODUCTS ON THE UK MARKET | The British Hemp CO.They are a dedicated team who love all things hemp, and they are serious about giving hemp a big comeback in Britain. HOW IT STARTED The British Hemp Company is the brainchild of MD Steve Glover, who set up the multiple award winning Severn Project in Bristol to provide education training and employment for socially
- The Pharmacology of Cannabis Cannabinoids and Terpenes by Dr. Ethan RussoClearly Understanding The Basics To Pharmacokinetics This is such a perfectly simple explanation of a complicated subject with CBD at it’s heart, that we thought it invaluable to re-share! Dr Ethan Russo, speaking with passion about his expertise, as always. Extracts from The Cannabis Hemp Conference and Expo Published 22nd Jun 2017 | Updated 27th
- THC VS. BREAST CANCER | PROJECT CBD SPECIALA comparison of the antitumoral activity of single-molecule THC and whole plant cannabis oil. By Alex Andia on March 18, 2019 It’s no secret that many cancer patients are using cannabis to help manage pain, fatigue, nausea, and other side effects of chemotherapy. Less well known is the fact that extensive preclinical research shows that
- Is Hemp Going to Sky-rocket the UK Farming Economy?UK Hemp: An Ancient Trade With a Bright Future By Jamie George our B2C Sustainability Specialist. Updated 16th October 2021 Once a cornerstone of the British empire, the UK hemp trade has suffered through decades of vilification. With Brexit in full swing, is it time we brought it in from the cold? Hemp has a
- The UK’S HEMP & CBD EXPO | GET YOUR TICKETS NOW!NAEC Coventry, 20th-22nd August The UK’s #1 Hemp Expo The Engines Are Fired UP – Product Earth 2021 If you haven’t got your tickets yet, then you can get them here: http://productearthexpo.com If you would like to speak to them about having a stall or any other queries, then reach out to MATT on email@example.com
- The White Label World Expo, FRANKFURT | 13th & 14th October 2021The Hemp Club are excited to announce that they are Media Partners for The White Label Expo Looking to source the hottest emerging products sweeping the online retail world? Do you want to hear about the latest strategies to take your business to the next level? If you want to become a pro seller then
- CANNABIS & HEMP NEWS – JULY ’21Cannabis Europa London Europe is undergoing a transformation. Regulations controlling the production, marketing and distribution of cannabis products continue to signal the progressive end of failed prohibition – ushering in a fresh wave of investment and innovation within the cannabis sector. GET YOUR EARLY BIRD TICKETS NOW! Date: 10 – 11 November 2021 Venue: TBC One of
- Colombia Removes Ban On Dry Flower ExportsColombia boosts budding cannabis industry by removing ban on dry flower exports Nelson Bocanegra 2 minute read Cannabis plants are seen inside a greenhouse of the Clever Leaves company in Pesca, Colombia October 2, 2019. Picture taken October 2, 2019. REUTERS/Luisa Gonzalez BOGOTA, July 23 (Reuters) – Colombia on Friday gave the green light for
- Practical considerations in medical cannabis administration and dosingCaroline A. MacCallum, Ethan B. Russo YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE FULL PAPER BELOW: Cannabis has been employed medicinally throughout history, but its recent legal prohibition, biochemical complexity and variability, quality control issues, previous dearth of appropriately powered randomised controlled trials, and lack of pertinent education have conspired to leave clinicians in the dark as to
- STUNNING, HAND MADE, ORGANIC CLOTHING | SET YOURSELF UP FOR THE SUMMERBUSTED: ORGANIC HEMP, COTTON & BAMBOO T-SHIRTS | REVIEW Beautifully crafted, organic, conceptual T-Shirts, emitting a positive vibe; a no brainer for the months to come! Totally sustainably manufactured, with a + impact to our planet, they are high quality garments, made to order, by hand in the UK! A quote from Carlotta Lucking (The
- SEEDSMAN SPECIAL | CANNABIS LEGALISATION IN CANADA: CAN WE DO IT BETTER?The legalisation of recreational cannabis use in Canada in 2018 felt groundbreaking. By SEEDSMAN’s Hattie Wells June 10, 2021 6 min read The realisation of a long-held dream for many relatively quickly rolled out, provided a beacon of hope: that the cannabis plant would finally be liberated, that cannabis laws could no longer be used
- PROHIBITION PARTNER- EUROPE SPECIAL | Czech Parliament, Pavel Kubu and Hanna GabriolovaOn Wednesday the 2nd of June, the lower house of the Czech Parliament approved a bill of amendments to the country’s laws governing the production and prescription of medical cannabis and hemp. Conor O’Brien 4th June 2021 The major stipulations of the amended bill are as follows: Medical cannabis may be cultivated by multiple licensed
- This is what you need to know about Terpenes and Terpenoids: UPDATEDThe primary most studied psychotropic cannabinoid for its effects on the human psyche and medicinal uses have been Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). In the past, it was believed that only cannabinoids played a crucial role in boosting medicinal and therapeutic effects in the human body. Nowadays, we know cannabis has over four hundred chemical compounds and that
- UK | CANNABIS & HEMP NEWS BANK HOLIDAY SPECIALLondon Is Open A three-part series from Cannabis Europa and Prohibition Partners, exploring the promising opportunities for successful medicinal cannabis and CBD companies listing on the London stock markets this year.Learn More New Cannabis Industry CouncilAims To Create A Single Unified Cannabis Voice For The UKLearn More Irish medical cannabisCampaigner Vera Twomey has called on the Government
- HEALTH CANADA’s HEMP VARIETIES | This YEARS INCLUDES CBDHEALTH CANADA: List of Approved Cultivars This is an update on the new List of Approved Cultivars in Canada for 2021. They now have the first year of high CBD varieties that currently fit within the .03% THC regulations. 1 cultivar (CBF1) is from Canada, the rest have been developed in the US. All of
- CANNABINOIDS AND THE LSEProhibition Partners; the London based, data, intelligence and strategy specialists deliver a detailed view of the UK market and it’s rise to the London stock exchange. London Is Open: Round Table Highlights ‘London Is Open’ is a three-part series from Cannabis Europa and Prohibition Partners, exploring the promising opportunities for successful medicinal cannabis and CBD
- Alphagreen’s HUGE SEEDRS crowdfunding raiseAlphagreen Europe’s leading CBD marketplace covering 150+ brands in medical cannabis and alternative healthcare has raised 69% of their £1,000,040 target, raising £699,201 from 41 investors! BUSINESS OVERVIEW Location London, United Kingdom Website alphagreen.io/ Sectors Healthcare Mixed Digital/Non-Digital Mixed B2B/B2C Company number 12249253 Incorporation date 8 Oct 2019 INVESTMENT SUMMARY Type Equity Valuation (pre-money) £10M Equity offered
- COMEDY FOR THE CURIOUS: WEED | Robyn perkinsSunday April 11, 2021 at 8:30pm BST on ZOOM and YouTube Featuring Robyn Perkins, Jacob Hawley & Erich McElroy £1, £2 & £5.00 tickets “a show that lends itself to on-the-spot thinking and an intelligent sense of humour” -The Independent (about Comedy for the Curious) Multi-award-winning comic Robyn Perkins uses stand-up and science to understand
- A breakthrough for full spectrum CBD – EIHA Novel Food Consortium passes administrative check by the FSAPress release23 March 2021 We are delighted to announce that both regular/full-spectrum and natural isolate products of EIHA consortium partners can remain for sale on the UK market, following both applications passing the key administrative check by the UK FSA.The FSA has confirmed to EIHA that both applications were considered to be compliant with the
- Future Cannabis Strategies Europe 202123rd-24th March 2021 What: Future Cannabis Strategies Europe Where: Virtually For who: Business leaders from across the wider European consumer-facing cannabis products category and solution providers. Why: The cannabis industry is achieving new levels of consumer reach and profitability due to changing product regulations, new investment benchmarks and this year’s global change in medicinal status.
- REVIEW: SEEDSMAN LAUNCHES HIGH CBDV AND THCV STRAINSSTRAINS March 19, 2021 Seedsman are excited to launch two brand new medicinal Seedsman strains: CBDV 1:1 Auto and Diet Durban THCV 1:1 Auto. These novel strains emphasise the production of two lesser-known cannabinoids CBDV and THCV. You may or may not be aware of these cannabinoids, but on account of their potential therapeutic effects,
- HOW CBD WORKS | Project cbd specialLearn how CBD works with your body’s endocannabinoid system Cannabidiol (CBD), a non-intoxicating component of the cannabis plant, has generated significant interest among scientists and physicians in recent years—but how CBD exerts its therapeutic impact on a molecular level is still being sorted out. Cannabidiol is a pleiotropic drug in that it produces many effects through multiple
- WORLD CANNABIS, HEMP and PSYCHEs NEWSTOP LEVEL NEWS AND REVIEWS : FEB-MAR 2021 BLUME JOBS RE-BRAND AS LUMINO | EUROPES FIRST CANNABIS CONSULTANCY “We won’t just place candidates for the sake of it – we want to see businesses succeed .” Lumino specialises in finding experienced human capital from complimentary industries to assemble uniquely robust teams of experts that are equipped to
- How to Dose yourself with CBDSTEPWISE DOSING What is the Stepwise Dosing Procedure? The Stepwise Dosing is a process by which you first establish a minimum baseline dosage, then adjust the dosage incrementally over a set period of time – typically 3 days. This is continued until the effective dosage is established. On that note, it is important to recognise that
- CBD | Everything you want to start to knowLast Updated 19th November 2020 Individuals take or apply cannabidiol (CBD) to treat an assortment of ailments, however, there does seem to be a stigma attached to it! Many people are unclear about what it is and how it influences the human body. Cannabidiol (CBD) has many medical advantages, and the public may not know
- CAnnabis 2020-2021 news round upTOP LEVEL NEWS AND REVIEWS from December 2020 – January 2021 UK and Ireland A UK medical cannabis clinics group has supported more than 1,500 patients to access treatment in 2020 NHS Launching Patient Registry To Support Evidence Base For Cannabis Medicines Sapphire Medical Foundation has been awarded charity status following a landmark decision by
- THE UK IS LEADING THE WAY IN CANNABISUK to see largest medical cannabis market growth in Europe 2020 to 2025 Britain is set to see the greatest cannabis medical market growth rate in Europe between 2020-2025. According to a new report, entitled European Cannabis 2020, by international cannabis market research firm Brightfield Group, expectations to allow for domestic cultivation and general practitioners
- activista cannábico Albert Tió entra en prisiónEl Ministerio de Justicia tiene que tramitar la solicitud del perdón para el que fue uno de los promotores de la ley reguladora de los clubes de usuarios de Catalunya y que deberá cumplir una condena de cinco años de cárcel por una intervención de marihuana en su asociación de Barcelona El activista cannábico Albert
- FREE Webinar Today – 24th November | Cannabis ExchangesDon’t forget to register and join today’s webinar… Time: Nov 24, 2020 03:00 PM in London REGISTER Topic: Cannabis Exchanges: Unpacking Potential Growth, Profit & Collaboration DescriptionTopics Include:– An introduction to cannabis exchanges and how they operate– Benefits of cannabis exchanges and their impact on industry growth– Legal structure and industry challenges with current system– The
- Kannavape wins their court caseCBD is not a narcotic. EU regulations need to be applied by all the members. This is a BIG win for the industry, and especially for the French market! A Member State may not prohibit the marketing of cannabidiol (CBD) lawfully produced in another Member State when it is extracted from the Cannabis sativa plant